[OM] Re: Another kitchen

Subject: [OM] Re: Another kitchen
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:45:54 +1000
Same as 'Mountain Ash' on the mainland - tallest tree in the world
(if we hadn't cut them all down in the 1870's!). Still the tallest
hardwood. Not an Ash either, of course - names were handed out on the
basis of the look of the wood.
Can't remember the latin at present - Eucalypts are actually members
of the Myrtle family although what the Tasmanians call Myrtle is
actually Nothofagus, the primitive southern Beech also found in South
America.
Jarrah - that is very tough stuff indeed. Planking the verandah with
it at the moment, a coupla hundred bucks worth at a time. It will
outlive me be a considerable margin. Every nail hole has to be
predrilled.
Seal by precoating all over and then run a bead of silicon into each
groove - assemble wet, cramp it.
Now a polished earth floor sealed with blood - that's tricky!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx