[OM] Re: OT: Bogen models

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Bogen models
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:57:10 -0700 (PDT)
> There are also variations under the same product number.  A
> good example is the 3047 head.  It has been around for a
> couple decades. Handle length and materials have changed
> numerous times as have the contours.  Later ones feature a
> level or two.  The basic design stays the same with a LOT of
> variations.

For some odd reason the oldest 3047 and the newest 3047 heads
seem to me to be the best.  Mine, which is around 17 years old
(yikes!) is a mid-run example which appears to be an improvement
over the original, but is questionably so.  Probably a little
more solid, but definitely not as nice as the newest design.  I
almost bought one recently until I realized that I don't NEED a
new 3-way tripod head.

And that probably grouses me as much as anything.  When looking
for quality 'pods, the Bogens/Manfrottos were identified to me
as "career tripods". As in, they'll last my entire career.
Well, I've since been infatuated with the carbon-fibor tripods
as well as the camo-green and black tripods.  But the problem
is, I have absolutely no need for them because the old ones work
perfectly well and show no signs of letting me (or my cameras)
down.  Not that I've babied them either--Joel will attest to
that.  I swing them around, let them fall down on rocks,
whatever.  As hard as I try, I just can't kill them through use
and moderate abuse.  We won't even mention the destroyed
bulkhead in the overhead bin of a MD-11 from my 3001 during a
hard landing.

> Some of us old farts will remember advertisements featuring
> ol' Les sitting on top of a tripod. But I digress . . .

Thanks a lot. I was just starting to come to grips with
middle-age. :(  I remember those advertisements well--probably
one reason why I ended up getting Bogens.  When the camera store
owner demonstrated the same thing with a 3021 I was convinced.

> Bogen rep told me the guy who runs Manfrotto prides himself
> offering innovative products and believes in constant
> improvement of everything they sell, hence the plethora of
> choices and ongoing variations.

The problem with Bogen/Manfrotto is that they've been TOO
successful through the years.  The products are common as dirt.
As such, there's a lack of respect to the actual quality level.
People think that Arca-Swiss or Gitzo is the cat's meow, but at
a certain point the improvements are incremental.  My Manfrotto
ball-head is actually quite outstanding.  I know the Arca-Swiss
is "better", but I also know that my Manfrotto is less
susceptable to problems with dirt, grime, grit and sand.  If
(when) I get sand in the head, I don't freak out, I just go on
my merry way and once every few years a squirt some silicone
lubricant in things.  Eventually the sand works itself out. :)
Just like my lenses with sand in the focusing helicoid.  Would
you be comfortable with setting your $600 A-S ballhead down on
beachsand?  I am with my Manfrottos.

What has really suprised me about Manfrotto products is the much
lower cost now than they were back around 1990 when I was
bulking up on supports.  I spent a goodly amount on my Bogens.
Probably twice what I can buy any of the stuff for today--even
from bricks and morter stores where everything is inflated in
price.  I think the Manfrottos provide the best
price/performance out there.

Yet, everytime I go into the camera store and look at that sweet
Arca-Swiss ballhead, I drool.  Yes, I've got a serious case of
equipment envy when it comes to those things.  Recently, when
Joel and I went did our Porcupines Zuikofest, we encountered a
couple other photographers that wore the uniform of the
"fine-art landscape photographer" crowd.  They hauled around the
biggest and heaviest Gitzos with the fanciest Arca-Swiss heads.
They had more investment in their tripods than I did in my
entire camera bag.  I waited until they left before I got out my
Manfrotto.  :(

Some days I still feel like the kid in the school playground the
bullies pick on.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com