[OM] Re: Solar eclipse photo advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Solar eclipse photo advice
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:37:08 +0100
Chuck, refresh your memory here:

www.hemy.me.uk/Eclipse/index.html

Just a few of totality, one of the all-round "sunset", a couple of local
crowd scenes and a couple of local scenery.  Specially for Chris, the last
is Uçhisar.

All images on Fuji Provia 100, and the multiple images of totality represent
exposures at five-second intervals with the shutter speed varied by one stop
each frame.  Keep in mind that a mirror lens was used, so everything was at
f/8.  The first near-totality image was imaged through a solar filter,
everything else unfiltered.

These are all pretty much straight out of the scanner, and are
work-in-progress while I find out how best to scan to reveal the detail from
an image which is 95% pure black!  I will likely be replacing some of the
scans with new versions over time.  Meanwhile, do, please, try dropping the
files into Photoshop to play with, eg, the curves to get an idea of what
level of colour detail is hidden fom immediate view - it is truly remarkable
what has been captured.  The last of the totality shots is an example of
what is there in the red channel.  There is also plenty of corona to be
extracted.

Novosibirsk 1 August 2008 beckons...

--
Piers