[OM] Re: BLM-1 battery terminal covers?

Subject: [OM] Re: BLM-1 battery terminal covers?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:39:49 -0600
At 09:54 AM 08/04/2006, Larry Woods wrote:
>I wanted spare batteries for my new E-1.  To avoid both the
>high price of Oly's BLM-1 battery and the dubious quality of
>no-name batteries, I got a couple Energizer ER-D510s.
>
>The batteries came without plastic covers to cover the
>terminals when the battery is not in use. Given the dire
>warnings about accidental shorting that came with the original
>BLM-1, I want to throw out a couple questions.
>
>Is it indeed, as I suspect, a bad idea to have batteries with
>uncovered terminals rattling around in a camera bag or a pocket?

Yep.  Those suckers have a LOT of energy in 'em.  Short one out, and
your camera bag (or pocket!) is on fire (or, worst case, your battery
explodes).  And you can't put out a Li-ion battery when it's on
fire.  You just have to let it burn itself out.

>If so, how can I store and carry unused rechargeable batteries
>  safely?  I don't think  that putting each battery in a small
>plastic bag is clever enough.  Bags tear, and are easily lost
>or blown away.

High-density freezer bags (Ziploc brand, ferinstance) will not tear
easily.  I use 'em for a variety of purposes in my camera kits --
some have been in use for years without replacing.  I'm cheap
(sometimes).  Or you could just use tack-free plastic tape over the
terminal covers.

>This last question might be an indirect way of asking where I
>might find spare terminal covers for BLM1-size batteries if
>there isn't an alternate clever suggestion.

Well, if you really want replacement covers, I'd phone up Olympus
America's parts department (find the number on Oly's website).  They
could probably send you one or two -- they might even do it for free.

Garth