[OM] Re: Bibble

Subject: [OM] Re: Bibble
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:32:17 +0200
>While it is interesting to see Apple and Adobe grinding slowly towardÊ
>a raw workflow product for photographers with Aperture and Lightroom,Ê
>but Bibble seems to be there already with speed and interesting toolsÊ
>for both Mac and PC. Anyone using it and care to share your experience?
>
>http://www.bibblelabs.com/

I tried it on my Mac, which is an old one (G4 450MHz bi-procesor). It is very
slow, slower than Adobe Camera Raw or Silky Pix or Raw Developer, much slower
than Capture One. Funny, since it is heralded as the quickest raw converter -
maybe the demo version does not take advantage of the 2 processors (these 2
processors are what gave this aging Mac such a long lease of life).

And the interface is truly hideous, in my opinion at least, very much out of
place on Mac OS X. Very crude.

Thus, although the software capabilities seem interesting, and the price is
right, I did not try any further. On a more recent Mac, if the speed is
acceptable, and one can overcome the interface (not sure I could), it might be
a good program!

For now, I have settled on :
* Capture One LE as my raw converter of choice. The colors and speed are OK,
the interface and workflow are nice. The Pro version has some additional
niceties, but at 500 $ is much too expensive.
* Raw Developer (Mac Only): I bought it too. Good colors and fine controls,
nice interface. Not as polished as C1, but a lot of potential (look up its
review on Digital Outback Photo).
* SilkyPix: good colors, the interface is a little bit disconcerting (the
tranlation from Japanese is strange...). But my trial period has ended, I
cannot try the advanced controls. Seems good though, I might buy it as well.

Others I have tried but not liked:
* Olympus Viewer gives good results, but the speed is glacial and I don't like
the interface.
* Didn't try Studio, but from what I read I would not like it.
* I don't like ACR (for Olympus files at least), I find it difficult to get
good colors with it for .orf files, and I never succeeded in calibrating it to
my satisfaction (I tried maybe 10 times). The interface and workflow are fine
though.
* I cannot try Lightroom, it is for Mac OS X 10.4 only, I use 10.3 - and I
guess its rendering angine is that of ACR anyway.

Bernard