[OM] Re: 100/2.8 spotted

Subject: [OM] Re: 100/2.8 spotted
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 14:43:39 -0700
Piers Hemy wrote:
> 7607139894 on the auction site, s/n is 1368xx, which looks to me to be close
> to AG's magic number.

Not close, much too high, according to AG's most recent informed posts
on the subject:

"In case anybody is curious to know, mine is serial number 113xxx
and I believe the same lens design was used into the 118000's."

"There was a period of time where the 100/2.8 underwent a few
subtle changes.  Also, during this same period of time Olympus
altered the lens-coating process and was introducing some
additional layers.  You will not find a green reflection in this
lens, but there are additional visible colors not seen in the
earlier ones.  If I recall, and I'll have to google the old
posts to verify, the change occured somewhere around 109000. The
lenses in the 120000's are of a different design.  Slightly
improved in some areas, but I don't think they've got quite the
same 3D characteristics.  The MC/Blacknosed 100/2.8 lenses are
more color neutral and slightly more flat-fielded and sharper
edge-to-edge.  They also have a different iris-blade design in a
slightly altered position.  The earliest 100/2.8 lenses had a
very good center, but fell off in resolution near the edges.
They also flared like no tomorrow."

The look and feel of the images from the 100/2.8 in this series
is quite unique.

Moose