[OM] Re: WTB: Tripod Ring

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: Tripod Ring
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:15:55 -0700

Jeff Keller wrote:

>> A bicycle inner tube is probably too thick to use with the 80-200/2.8. The
>> 80-200 is slightly larger than the Olympus lenses. Black electricians tape
>> works well.
>>
>> I posted some pictures of both the Tamron and Olympus tripod adapters a
>> while back. I am biased but everyone can draw their own condlussions as to
>> which is best.
>>
>> http://www.olympus-photography.com/Tamron/80-200_f2-8/tripod_mount/index.htm

I think you want something quite firm, so it doesn't add flex to the
mounting.

My opinion of the problem with the Tamron mount differs slightly. I
think the primary  problem is that the arms that go from the tripod
plate part to the ring around the lens body are too long and/or small in
cross section. The result is that they flex under moderate stress. The
natural reaction of a user who feels the movement is to think the mount
isn't tightened onto the lens enough. Then the second problem appears,
as the mounting ring breaks under the stress of over tightening.

If I hadn't been forewarned on this list, so I looked more carefully at
what was happening, I would probably have broken my mount too.

By the way, Jeff, the jpegs on your excellent page about the mounts are
way too big, 1.5 mb for 512x384 pixels. Something like 100K would be plenty.

Moose