[OM] Re: Testing a damaged lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Testing a damaged lens
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:41:09 -0700
You've got my sympathy. My E-1 with 14-54 blew over while sitting on a
tripod only about 3' high. Various pieces were trying to escape from the
camera body and the lens did not function. I think Olympus charged about
$150 to repair the lens. The body was probably $250, maybe a little more but
came back looking new.

To test the lens you probably want to be sure to take pictures at infinity
and very close up.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Robert Swier" <robert.swier@xxxxxxxxx>

I recently did some damage to my DZ 14-54. The lens was mounted on an
E-1, which was attached to my tripod. The tripod stood about chest
high, and I basically knocked it over. Unfortunately the whole thing
came straight down on the front of the lens. There was no filter in
place, and so the outer ring where the filter attaches took most of
the blow. There is now a slight crack in the plastic that is
immediately behind the filter ring, and of course the ring is bent
slightly, so that it is difficult (but not impossible) to get a filter
on and off.
--

Robert Swier
Toronto