[OM] Re: OT: A freebie for your friends

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: A freebie for your friends
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 01:55:02 -0700
Manuel Viet wrote:
> Le lundi 03 Avril 2006 21:37, ScottGee1 a écrit :
>
>> Since I already know that everyone in this august group is highly
>> proficient at organizing their digital images, here's a nice little
>> freebie you can suggest to friends and family who are newbies:

> Wonderful ; take a shiny brand new computer, 4+ GHz, 1GB ram, price to fit,
> and turn it into a 25$ light table and .20$ shoebox emulation.

Seems a little harsh. If that is all one is doing with the computer, OK,
But the definition of these PCs and Macs is as general purpose machines,
designed to do many different computing tasks well. So if somebody is
using their machine to calculate satelite orbits for planetary probes
and write great poetry, but also use it to index, view and print their
digi P&S shots of family and friends, does that somehow make them a fool?

My fairly new and still shiny notebook isn't as fast as your example,
but has more memory. I have Picassa2 and Photoshop Elements 2 on it. I
use them when I am traveling and downloading images to the notebook for
storage and to burn DVD backups. I find them to work very well for the
purpose intended.

There is a place for less than full blown applications in many areas.
Fit the tool to the job.
> Saving 1 hour of learning from a beginner is _not_ a worthy investment, he'll
> repay it very soon by a real catastrophic problem costing him ten times this
> fallacious economy (minimum, it can be much, much more).

Did you look at the link? This is just a simple little index and view
program. Assuming it's stable, which PC Mag finds it to be, what
possible harm could it do? I just don't see any catastrophe in the offing .

And by the way, it costs nothing, so ten times that is still nothing. :-)

Moose