[OM] Re: Unsticking stuck filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Unsticking stuck filters
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:04:32 +0000
Seems like we've been through this before, but I guess we can do it again.

Before that, though, I will state, for the record, that I have two sets of
filter wrenches, big'uns and little'uns, and wonder about anyone claiming to be
even a half serious photographer and who uses filters, even occasionally, who
does not have same.

Now, when all else fails, as even filter wrenches sometimes do, it's time to
put some basic thermal dynamics to work for us.  In the case at hand, which, as
I understand it, involves a filter stuck in the filter ring of a lens that has
come apart, I would suggest putting the two on the eye of an electric stove,
filter up, and turning the eye on to its lowest setting.  This won't take long,
so don't wander off waiting on things to heat up.  After only a minute or so,
the ring will start to expand, and there will be that magic moment when it has
expanded and the filter has not, and they will let go of each other.  I've done
it.  It works.

In the case of a filter stuck on a lens that hasn't come apart, it's not a good
idea to stick anything on a stove eye, but you can put the lens and filter in a
warm oven or just out in the sun to get everything nice and toasty, but no
warmer than the lens would get when shooting outdoors on a hot summer day for a
couple of hours.  While everything is warming up nicely, wet a washcloth, old
shoeshine rag, yesterday's undershorts, or any sort of reasonably soft cloth,
wring it out, and stick it in the freezer long enough to get very, very cold.

Now, bring the warm lens inside, or take it out of the oven, and stick the
cold, or even frozen, cloth over the filter, gripping the edges with it, and
unscrew it.  The much greater mass of the lens will keep it expanded, while the
much lesser mass of the filter will cause it to cool and contract almost
immediately upon being grabbed by the cold rag.  I've done it.  It works.

Better yet, GET FILTER WRENCHES.

Minor rant over.

Walt

--