[OM] Re: ba-fwoom (or: more on flashes)

Subject: [OM] Re: ba-fwoom (or: more on flashes)
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:06:23 +1030
On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:38:30PM -0700, Dan Mitchell wrote:
>   1. There's an external sensor that comes with the flash and fits into
> the hot shoe on a camera to fire it -- but there's only one pin coming
> out of the middle of the sensor into the hot shoe, so how can it work?
> It certainly _does_ work, much to my surprise when I was trying it out;
> I assumed the pin was just to hold it in place and I'd need a PC cord,
> but somehow, even though there's only half a circuit there, whatever
> happens electrically when the E-1 tries to fire a flash still works.

Hi Dan,

If you have a look in the side grooves above the square part of the foot
you'll generally see see a little spring contact. this is the 'ground
return'.

>   If I try and fool the flash by using 2 normal C cells and 6
> rechargeables, other than being ugly, is anything likely to go wrong? It
> seems to work pretty reliably that way, but I can't help having a
> vaguely nervous feeling about it.

Your feelings serve you well. It's not a Good Idea, the cells will have
differing capacities, & as they discharge, either the rechargeables or
the normal cells will run out & begin to reverse charge. Not very good
for a rechargeable cell's longevity.

regards,
davidt
Adelaide, South Australia