[OM] Re: Zuiko Silver Nose Trivia

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko Silver Nose Trivia
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:09:44 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:
> A potential buyer asked me if a silver nosed 50mm f3.5 was multicoated.
>
> This lead to some poking around which turned up some trivia that I wasn't
> aware of:
> 1.) The 16mm zuiko and 50mm f3.5 were made in silver nosed "ZUIKO" labeled
> versions. They didn't have the preceeding letter such as H.ZUIKO, nor did
> they have the following "MC" that the early silver nosed F2 lenses had.

Where did you get that about the 50/3.5? The multi-coating survey shows
a very early 50/3.5 with silver nose, but marked MC. It didn't have the
preceding letter for the reason explained below.

50    3.5  101179  Chrome      MC    Yes       Zuiko MC Macro
50    3.5  160629  Black       MC    Yes       Zuiko MC

> 2.) The silver nosed 75-150mm f4 zoom was also labeled "ZUIKO".

This one is easy. Oly never made any zooms with the preceeding letter
indicating number of elements. All zooms were always multi coated except
for the 75-150, which never was.
> 3.) I don't have a clue (which is not surprising) why Olympus used the
> letter indicating the lens grouping on some lenses and not on others

I don't know why, but here's what the eSIF says:

"By the time single coated lenses were replaced by multicoated versions,
the preceding characters were dropped and the characters MC
(=multicoated) were put after the word ZUIKO. The first lenses that were
labeled as such were the lenses that were never made in a single coated
version: the 18mm/F3.5, 21mm/F2, 24mm/F2, 28mm/F2 and 35mm/F2 lenses.
Strangely enough these lenses appear in early lens tables with the
preceding characters but they were put into production the the MC
inscription.
Fisheye lenses, Shift lenses, Zoom lenses and Macro lenses never carried
the preceding characters. :
> Was the 18mm made in a silver nosed version?

No, see quote above.

Moose