[OM] Re: E-300 weird behaviour with Tamron 90/2.5

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300 weird behaviour with Tamron 90/2.5
From: "James Royall" <jamesroyall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:41:25 +0000
This sounds exactly like the trouble I had - strangely I seem to
remember it was while taking photos for ebay selling. Except I was using
the 14-54. I found out (from the dpreview forum) that there is a lower
limit to what the camera will meter in A mode, and it's not that low.
Doesn't matter if you change the iso (I think) or aperture you still end
up with the same level of underexposuren - the camera decides not to go
any lower with the shutter speed. If you keep an eye on the shutter
speed indicator as you fiddle with the aperture you'll see that it won't
stop flashing, indicating insufficient light. Change to S or M and the
camera will let you set a low enough shutter speed to allow for the
available light. Now I'm sure my explanation's a little off, but I'm
sure others better able to look up and interpret the specs will put me
straight, but the short answer is that you can't meter below a certain
light level in A mode and have to switch to S or M. It seemed daft to me
at the time and still does now.

James

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:17:36 +1100, "Wayne Harridge"
<wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Well I think I know what Olympus were talking about when they said the
> old
> MF lenses only worked correctly in certain aperture ranges.  Tonight I
> was
> taking some close-ups of a N*k*n F2 for an *bay ad.  I wanted plenty of
> DOF
> so stopped the Tamron down to f16 and fired off a shot with the E-300,
> the
> image looked a bit dark so I dialled in +1 stop exp. comp., took another
> shot and it looked no better, dialled in +3 stops - no change, +5 stops
> and
> still no noticeable change to the image or histogram.  I opened the
> Tamron
> up to f8 and the exp. comp. seemed to work as expected !  By the way,
> this
> was with ESP metering - now I'm going to try spot & CW.  Anyone like to
> hazard a theory as to why the E-300 behaves this way ?
>
> ...Wayne

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx
  James Royall