[OM] Re: Scanning workflow question

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning workflow question
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:19:26 +1100
At 09:41 PM 13/03/2006 -0700, dan wrote:
>   I should probably have asked this _before_ rather than after going
>through our NZ trip photos [1], but anyway.. when people are scanning a
>lot of photos (from prints), how do you manage getting the prints onto
>and off the bed of the scanner?
>
>   After cleaning the glass, it became sort of 'sticky' so it was awkward
>to position prints on it in the right place, they'd want to stay
>wherever I first put them -- and after that, getting them off again is
>tricky. I can slide them around the platen if I'm careful, but what's
>the best way to then remove them entirely? They slide up to the edge,
>but then I can either try and use a fingernail to get under them, which
>tends to leave finger smears on the glass, or push on one end of the
>photo until it bends and pick it up by the sides, which is also a bit
>fiddly.
>
>   Is there some sort of technique I'm missing here? Maybe glue on my
>fingertip, or one of those rubber tip things that people use in banks?

A while back I scanned a couple of hundred old photos, most of them were
about 2x3 inches and I know where you're coming from Dan!

Another problem I encountered was keeping the photos straight and trying to
stop them moving around when I lowered the scanner lid (I was batch
scanning them, six or so at a time).

My solution was to get a piece of thin A4 size cardboard.  Then I put
strips of double-sided tape across it in a grid pattern.  Finally I took a
Kleenex tissue and dabbed the tape with it so that the tape lost most (but
not all) of its 'stickyness'.

Then it was a simple matter of arranging the photos on the cardboard and
laying the whole lot face down on the scanner platen.  Lifting it off
involved a fingernail under one corner.

To improve photo alignment you can draw some lines on the cardboard before
applying the tape.

Andrew McPhee
http://www.dev-stop-fix.com/