[OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution a way or thinking its not about the

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution a way or thinking its not about the numbers!
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:46:09 +0000
Although this may not be profoundly elucidating, perhaps not even particularly
relevant, I think it relates to the practical rather than the theoretical
aspect of this notion, so I'll offer it anyhow.  A while back, during a
discussion about film resolution and old lenses, I posted as an example an
ordinary shot I made in the early '60s, hand-held, actually out a car window,
with a Pentax and f/1.8 Takumar lens on the now regrettably extinct Panatomic-X
film, together with a crop of a tiny part of the same picture.  The shot is of
Ayers Hall, one of the oldest buildings on the University of Tennessee campus,
and the crop is of a part of the bell tower, showing that there was a
loudspeaker hiding in the shadows.  The scan of the negative was at 5400 dpi,
and while it doesn't show the grain as clearly as a darkroom grain magnifier, I
think it's probably sufficient to make my point.

Here's the full shot:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1094.jpg

Here's the crop:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1095.jpg

My point: looks like a lot of shades of gray to me.  And having used a grain
magnifier to focus in the darkroom on many an occasion, I don't recall it
looking much different.  If you look close enough and get down to the micron
level, maybe it really is all black and white, but from a practical standpoint,
as in making photographs, don't black and white make shades of gray?

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --