[OM] Re: TOPE... Surprise!!! :))))

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE... Surprise!!! :))))
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:24:13 +0100
Hi Piers and others,

> Yup, looks very attractive Olafo, well done.

Tnx!

Also: thanks for the nice words all the others have also made either
on-list or off-list! :)

 > But you will have to try harder with your conundrums, because I am
strcuk by
 > the similarity of your header logo to the title of ...
>
> "The OM System Lens Handbook"

Excellent!
Five golden stars for you. :)

Actually: the idea behind the logo was to make it recognisable for the
OM lovers. Good to see that it works. :)

 From day 1 when making the new lay-out I had envisioned to make a logo
that resembled that. It took me quite a while before I had found the
right font, and it turned out that 'Haettenschweiler' was the closest
one I could find. I did stray from the original in putting a white
border around it, and in making a more fluent gradient, rather than the
7 'discretely' coloured gradient of the title of the OM Lens Handbook. I
hope (and think?) it's still recognisable enough though...
Also: this is the one and only reason I used black in the lay-out of the
page; a thing I normally *never* do in backgrounds. :)

Regarding some of the other remarks about the lay-out:
-White colour: actually it is not full-blown white (which is expressed
as a hex value of #FFFFFF) but rather it is a very light shade of gray
(hex value #F4F4F4). I did play around with more pronounced shades of
gray, but it somehow all looks rather opaque, whereas the lighter shade
is more 'fresh' and livelier (sp?). If many people see this as an issue
I might experiment with some other tones of gray (or even an entirely
different colour)...
-Sub header titles: it was mentioned (off-list) that some of the
subheader titles (particularly on the 'events' page) are a bit hard to
read. This is yet another trade off between getting a 'playful' lay-out
and yet being nice on the eyes. I have played with several font schemes
and found the used font (i.e. 'Hardkaze') to be the nicest one. There
were a few other good candidates like the 'Dope Jam' font (i.e. the one
that is used in the menu), but they either didn't work out as nicely
and/or didn't support numbers and special characters. Either way:
regarding this I can say the same: by very popular demand I can change
it (or even make the font to use user selectable).

Cheers,
Olafo