[OM] Re: I take it back! I take it back!

Subject: [OM] Re: I take it back! I take it back!
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:01:56 +1100
I have to query this line. I suspect that very few people below
professional status use a PC connection at all and there is a
substantial difference between the provision of one and 'a few extra
menu items'. The connection is a fair piece of circuitry and I would
think needs to be isolated from the main circuit of the camera to
avoid any possible high voltage problems - look at the difficulties
with hot shoes and old flash units for example. Leaving it out may
save a lot of space and cost. Meanwhile, there is a huge amount of
potential in even a small IC and adding in menu items is probably
mere firmware engineering in many cases, rather than anything
structural.
Use the thingumy from Hama - I've even got a bounce version somewhere
in my 'that might come in handy' box in the back corner of a cobweb
encrusted attic. Better still, use a slave system. If you're at the
point of needing to use a PC connection, there are probably better
and safer ways to do it.
Oh an as to 'scene' modes Walt - some of them are actually quite
useful and I think that Oly does present and select them better than
most manufacturers.
AndrewF