[OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #44

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #44
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:39:11 -0800
Moon Mullins wrote:

>I have a C8080 and take a lot of pictures of shiny cars but seem to
>have a problem with glare, so guess I need a polarizer.  also like to
>be able to take a picture of the inside with the window up.  so I see
>these polarizers with a built in 85 warming filter on ebay made by
>Moose?  is this you Moose?

Nope, different Moose, a pro photog in the Rockies.

>like the idea but will the 85 change the color of the car?

Yes, it will. You want just a plain circular polarizer. The warming
filter is to offset the cooler color temp outdoors at high altitudes.

You could, of course, set a custom color balance for the warming
polarizer, but I can't see any point in buying a more expensive filter,
then compensating for it, unless you also need one for high altitude
photography. Unless you simply must buy something from a person named
Moose, which would be perfectly understandable. :-)

By the way, the use of a warming filter to cut off UV at altitude is
about the only filter effect that can't be duplicated later in software.

Moose