[OM] Re: New Sigma lenses for 4/3

Subject: [OM] Re: New Sigma lenses for 4/3
From: <olympus-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:17:46 -0000
Mike wrote...
> Mathematics aside the easiest way to check for a "normal" lens is to
> look through the viewfinger with both eyes open. View with both eyes
> should be the same, i.e. no magnification differences.

Surely this depends on the size of the focussing screen and on the
viewfinder optics?  And wearing glasses or changing the diopter settings on
the camera must affect the magnification?

I've only found two combinations that give me a near-100% viewfinder
magnification at infinity: The first is any single-digit OM body (usually
a -2SP) with the Zuiko 55mm f1.2 lens.  The other combination is the exact
same Zuiko 55mm lens mounted on my E-1.

55mm is a standard lens on the OM bodies, but becomes a short telephoto on
4/3.

(For one specific type of shot, I've come to depend on having the 100%
viewfinder magnification combined with the "point & press" simplicity of the
2SP's Program Mode - and the fast lens and a fast film really help.  The E-1
just doesn't work out in the same way: The field of view with the 55mm lens
is too narrow; any other viewfinder magnification, e.g., with a 28mm lens,
makes framing the shot too difficult to do safely.)