[OM] Re: Back on the list

Subject: [OM] Re: Back on the list
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:36:42 +1100
You're too kind. Heck, no you're not; that's perfectly true. :)
I'm sure I'll find a way to keep teaching something to someone (can't
help myself).

If only you were left alone to just teach, I'd probably keep going.
I've developed a theory which fits most professions
There are people who are good at content and people who are good at
processes.
The 'content' people love the job itself and are content just to do it.
The process people are the organisers who end up in management.
'Content' teachers adore their subject and are enthusiastic, often
inspirational.
Process teachers like to deliver programs, organise timetables,
administer schools and to introduce new pedagogical theories, whether
they are needed or not. They are addicted to change.
Consequently, schools end up being run by people who don't understand
their teachers. They are managers. Their paradigm is quite different.
Substitute any other field of endeavour that you wish.
AndrewF