[OM] Re: The TOPE 25th "anniversary" lens is in: check it out! :)

Subject: [OM] Re: The TOPE 25th "anniversary" lens is in: check it out! :)
From: Olaf Greve <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:56:38 +0100
Hiya,

First off: it's good to see I managed to at least get a few list members
to take a hard look at what that exotic lens could be. :)

Then:

Piers got it right very quickly, by saying it looks 'hexadecimal';
indeed, hexadecimal being the "base-16" numeric system, 16mm was the
correct one. :)

Moose also nicely used some of the specifics of the lens to come to the
same conclusion:

> Way too short for a 50mm. In fact, as others have said indirectly, of
> the compact WAs, only the 28/2.8 and 16/3.5 go down to f22, and only one
> of those takes a special, deep slip-on cap. Others clues are the very
> short rotation from infinity to the close focus - and the actual close
> focus value.

I had thought the lens cap to directly be a dead giveaway for it being
either the 16/3.5 or the 18/3.5 (not certain what the cap of the latter
looks like), but 'fortunately' for me some people missed that clue. :)

Alright, indeed, the 16mm it is! And a fine lens at that too! Yesterday
I had a quick 'dry-run' (i.e. there was no film in the camera) with it
on the OM-4Ti and it gives a whole new twist and perspective to the
world when seen with this 'fishy' perspective. I was also happily
pleased to see that (despite what is mentioned in The OM System Lens
Handbook), it is actually not so easy to get one's feet accidentally
caught in the picture (this must be substantially more the case with the
8mm). ;)

It's also quite funky to play a bit with the built in filters.
Personally I'm not a B/W photographer, so I wouldn't have minded the
yellow and orange filters to respectively have been an ND2 and ND4
filter (as the sun easily gets in the picture, so the OM-4Ti was beeping
a lot regarding overexposure @400 ASA). I guess I'll be using it a lot
with Provia 100F instead of 400F.

OK, today we're having briliantly beautiful weather, but I have to work.
For the weekend and the days after the weather is supposed to take a
turn for the worse (snow and all), but I do hope to give this lens some
play over the weekend, and with a bit of luck I can show some pictures
next week or so...

Thanks again for the great lens, and keep a close eye on TOPE, something
special might happen to it soon....;)

Cheers,
Olafo