[OM] Re: om-2s, auto/manual light-metering don't agree.

Subject: [OM] Re: om-2s, auto/manual light-metering don't agree.
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 06:58:24 -0600
On 2/11/06, Komtanoo Pinpimai <romerun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm testing my new om-2s in room light, auto and manual always give
> the same f/shutter speed except  focusing on a bulb. In the case of
> manual I got f=8/shutter=1000, but in auto mode they are
> f=8/shutter=125. Is it normal ? My assumption is auto mode use a
> different light metering procedure from the manual
> mode(center-weighted) ?.
>
> -thanks
> kem

Manual mode = spot, auto = center-weighted.  That's just the viewfinder meter.

When you take an actual photo in auto mode, the Off the Film (OTF)
meter is at work.  You must have film in the camera and your camera
must be correctly calibrated for the OTF reading to match the CWA
meter reading.  Even if correctly calibrated, the actual photo's
reading could still be a little different from the CWA reading because
films are all a little bit different in reflecting light.

The OM-2S is the favorite body of a few of us here.  Amazingly deft
camera.  There's hardly anything you can't do with it.  I got into the
4T only because I wanted to be able to shoot a very long exposure
(20-30 seconds) based on a spot meter reading, which the OM-2S can't
do.  But some of my better photos were still taken on that occasion
with just the OM-2S in auto mode, blasting away.

Joel W.