[OM] Re: Vintage E-1 matters and T20 flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Vintage E-1 matters and T20 flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 21:21:40 -0500
Just to help clarify the dual exposures involved in flash photography
(flash & ambient) I should have added that, on the camera's side, the
flash exposure is controlled only by the aperture and never by the
shutter speed.  If using a TTL capable camera/flash combination or the
auto mode on the flash then the camera of flash can control the flash
exposure by controlling the duration of the flash.  However, in no case
will the camera's shutter speed enter into the equation unless it's
erroneously set faster than the sync speed and misses the flash altogether.

On the ambient exposure side both shutter speed and aperture count as
always.  However, since the flash control resides at the aperture the
aperture will have been pre-determined to suit the flash and any
remaining control of the ambient exposure will have to be the province
of the shutter speed.

Chuck Norcutt