[OM] Re: Long term survival of prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Long term survival of prints
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 17:49:39 +0100
if you don't play casettes often enough, quality will go back.
The magnetic data will "bloom" through" the whole tape.
At our national TV archives every tape is respooled at least once each
two years I think.

Iwert.

Op 3-feb-06 om 17:43 heeft ScottGee1 het volgende geschreven:

> May not be comparable, but throughout the '80s I recorded a lot of my
> vinyl disks to cassette tape using a high end Nakamichi deck.  Over
> the years I've gotten lazy and listen to CDs.  Recently wanted to hear
> some music that is on one of my tapes.  Was stunned by how bad it
> sounds.  And yes, believe it or not, I'm still using the same
> components as I did over 20 years ago so they aren't variables in this
> equation.
>
> Data CD/DVD storage may well be superior -- or not.  The big concern
> for me is that image files that lose a few bits may be impossible to
> load even if the technology to load and print them still exists.  I
> might be able to put up with music that sounds dull and flat due to
> lost data, but image files are notoriously difficult to repair.
>
> my two lux worth/ScottGee1

iwert bernakiewicz _ architect
kielenstraat 14
3700 tongeren