[OM] Re: Balancing old and new material

Subject: [OM] Re: Balancing old and new material
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:00:09 -0800 (PST)
> I am feeling a bit burnt out with the SE Asia material but
> then I'll look through the proof prints I have from the lab
> and find other shots that I haven't printed yet that I think
> are really good.

Let me put a twist on this.  I go through my files "mining"
pictures.  I'm JUST getting around to printing or scanning
pictures that I took in the '80s.  There's some good stuff in
there that makes me wonder "who took this?"  Along with a lot of
schmuck, too.  What's interesting is that 2/3rd of the files are
"outtakes" or pictures that serve little artistic value.
However, they may serve as a historical value, compilation
value, stock value or just an emotional value to yourself.  When
going through the initial toss phase, I throw away technical
errors (blurries, bad exposures) and those images I'm embarrased
to even see come out of my camera. If I have three pictures of
the same thing I'll keep the best and toss the rest, unless it's
really good and have spares doesn't hurt. After all, they don't
really take any space up.  When I plan on returning to a
location I pull the files out and see not just those five
"keepers" from it, but the outtakes which clue me in on what's
all there.

Another aspect of this is during a return to a previous shooting
location how do you approach it?  Do you duplicate the same
successful shots you did before?  Yes, of course you do. But you
also need to evaluate the scene from a new angle and attempt to
create fresh work.

I've got a HUGE print propped up on my desk right now which is
headed off to another list member. This picture was taken this
past fall during the Porcupines ZA trip. It's of an angle that I
had never seen before and never photographed before.  It's fresh
and new to me.  However, I also shot a couple hundred pictures
that I shot before.  Are they junk?  Absolutely not.  Are they
all worthy of printing?  Nope.  Am I going to 'can' them?  Not
on your life.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com