[OM] Re: Digital B&W, another attempt

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital B&W, another attempt
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 06:45:51 -0800 (PST)
> Is the 8-th step to go greyscale?

No. I went grayscale before these steps.

> Digital seems the as the path now, I got my DD-X yesterday
> that I ordered last summer!

Ouch. I've been spending a little bit more but I have a local
supplier.  B&H will end up being my normal source in the future.

At this point there is still something to be said about film for
the initial capture.  If you do a straight expose for average
midtone (like you do with slide film) and keep the contrast
"normal", you do get over two stops of additional dynamic range.
 However, if you do selective exposure with altered development
(for example, overexpose, underdevelop), you can capture up to
12 stops of dynamic range as well as additional "virtual stops"
in the toe/shoulder.

Of course we could digital shoot with bracketed exposures and do
the HDR nonesense in Photoshop. Talk about a technology that
will destroy B&W faster than anything. This is a very powerful
tool in the hands of "children" who have no sense of how to keep
the midtones in a realistic tonal seperation.  You can't take 12
stops of exposure and compress them into six stops without
wrecking havoc on the realism of the scene. It takes discipline
to back off and let the image breathe.

But that's a soapbox for another day...

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com