[OM] Re: Olympus Image Stabilization

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Image Stabilization
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:36:30 +1100
No - you just buy the expensive f2 lenses so that IS is unnecessary. :-)
And as for Canon doing live preview - Oly claims that it took them
four years to get it sorted. Apparently the E-300 was designed for it
but the technology wasn't ready, so they released the body anyway as
they really needed an entry level DSLR unit. The odd design with the
porrofinder was used to accomodate the ccd array in the finder
assembly. All this they freely admit and they are confident that they
are well ahead of the pack. Time will tell.

The product manager I met mentioned something about it not being the
first DSLR with live preview - that there was a clumsy attempt by
someone like Kodak some years ago with a low res, B7W sensor. I
missed it due to his strong Japanese accent and my unwillingness to
admit ignorance - anyone know what it was?
Andrew F