[OM] Re: [SemiOT] Mac choices for Photoshop

Subject: [OM] Re: [SemiOT] Mac choices for Photoshop
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:12:34 -0500
Thanks all. And also for the concurrent scanner thread, which is also of
interest. I plan to OMortize the scanner over a good many past and future
frames of slide/print x color/BW film.

PS is the most important role planned for this machine.

The tests posted a few days ago indicated that PS wasn't all that fast
running on the new machines. This may be because it was running through
Rosetta; I don't remember. That of course may change when it is ported to
run native.

Binary incompatibility is a two-edged sword. On one hand it might eventually
cause problems when the PowerPC stops getting support. On the other hand
it's an additional, airtight barrier against PC binary viruses, etc. (I know
the OS provides pretty good protection too; I've been a Unix developer). As
well, I believe in diversity in marketplaces.

Also important is compatibility with shortlisted scanners (ScanElite leading
the pack, as I'd prefer to avoide grain aliasing and downsample later if
needed).

I've never been more than a user on a Mac. I kind of look forward to
learning the sysadmin and writing code...

Andrew