[OM] Re: [OT]... chicken and aircraft, but were afraid to ask..

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]... chicken and aircraft, but were afraid to ask..
From: savvo <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:27:12 +0000
Scott Gomez wrote:
> Mythbusters did the chicken and aircraft thing recently. Found out it
> makes essentially no difference whether the chickens are frozen or
> thawed... They all penetrate the average private aircraft windscreen.

Maybe, but this discussion rapidly strayed from bird strikes on the
engine to those on the windscreen. I'm sure Rolls-Royce, Pratt & Whitney
et.al. can be forgiven for only testing with thawed poultry.

There was a very good documentary last year on the building of the first
A380. It showed the first-ever-televised destructive engine test at
Rolls-Royce (not bird-strike -- explosive removal of a turbine blade at
full power). Although they only showed the control room not the engine
failing, the bang was substantial. The engine casing contained the
explosion and survived intact. As it must.

--
Chris