[OM] Re: OT..but Optical

Subject: [OM] Re: OT..but Optical
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:24:14 -0800
JOHN DUGGAN wrote:

>I have been looking for another pair of good bino's
>for a while, and my favourite photo store is having a
>20% off sale (what better reason do I need)
> On offer  Zeiss Dailyt classic rubber armoured 10x40
>T* coated (approx 1980-2) for £250.00 approx $420.00
>     Or    Zeiss Victory 8x40 T* P* phase coated
>optics (approx 2ooo) for £200.00 approx $330.00
>
>For Zeiss Victory...Nitrogen filled, much newer
>design, lighter, Phase coated optics, better twilight
>performance,closer focus,cheaper.
>For Zeiss Dailyt...Higher mag, A look I have long
>admired.
> It seems a no brainer...so why am I unsure?
>   Both pairs of bino's are in excellent condition.
>  Any one out there with advice , or experience of
>either pair of binoculars?

My two cents worth:

1. Phase coating makes a real difference. My phase coated Elites could
distinguish some detail in a Xanthus hummingbird sitting at some
distance in a tree against a bright overcast sky where a non phase
coated pair that pretty much matched them in general viewing could only
see a silhouette. Seeing the gorget detail was the difference to really
confirm the sighting for me.

2. 10x is too powerful for real field use for most people, including me.
I can hold it steady enough for a few minutes, but then my inability to
hold them steady enough cancels out the greater raw resolving power.
(Sort of like a 200/4 on an OM-1 using a tripod.) Also, for me, the
narrower field of view is a negative.

So the Victory wins this particular limited contest for me. That said,
although a very good binocular, the circa 2000 Victory wasn't the very
best thing around <http://betterviewdesired.com/501/index.html> then and
certainly isn't now
<http://betterviewdesired.com/12-05/Zeiss%208x42TFL.html>.

I still am happy with my similar vintage B&L waterproof Elite 8x42s,
which I see are still in the top rank. And the classic Trinovid 7x35Bs,
phase coating or not, are still the ones hanging around for a quick grab
and look at a bird around house and yard.

If I were buying a new pair at the moment, it would be the Nikon
Superior E 8x32.

Moose