[OM] Re: Macrophotography questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Macrophotography questions
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:28:55 +1100
Ah yes, that would be the very rare, blue 1400W high speed, hammer
action, 1/2"  Makita zoom! I suspect you mean Makinon (green rings)
which does not have a great reputation for anything much - cheap and
cheerful is the best description. As Piers said, these are not true
Macro but merely close focus - it's a bit of a scam used on long
zooms and some wide angles which by accident of design, can get a bit
closer.
Given that you really love macro, the genuine 50mm f3.5 Zuiko is a
fine lens at a very good price these days. Also, the Tamron 90mm f2.5
Adaptall in either its earlier metal body or later plastic body is a
very fine lens for not too much. Same goes for the Tokina and Vivitar
macros found in lengths around 55mm and 105mm - check ebay's
completed auctions for typical values. At least, you should be
looking for a specifically 'Macro' lens (which will not be a zoom).
Use them with some cheap extension rings and you'll get close alright.
Another very cheap approach is a reversing ring ($10-15) - this
allows you to reverse your 50mm lens on the camera and turns it into
a macro lens, although a rather clumsy one. Surprisingly effective
but you lose all the automatic functions of the lens.
AndrewF