[OM] [OT] Monitor brightness level

Subject: [OM] [OT] Monitor brightness level
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:03:39 -0500
I just recently purchased a Colorvision ColorPlus.  I thought I was pretty
close with my monitor calibration using Adobe Gamma but boy, was I wrong.  I
was a bit too much toward the blue end.  After calibration with the spyder I
couldn't tell the difference between  a print on Ilford Galerie Classic
Pearl made on a Canon i960 using the Ilford profile and the image on my
Opiquest V95 CRT monitor.

During the Colorvision calibration process I found I had to raise the
brightness level on the monitor to almost 100%.  That seems a bit extreme
and I can probably live with about 90-94%, a setting I got using a program
called QuickGamma.  The Colorvision tech said I should be between 65 and
70.  I've never been able to use a setting that low even when the monitor
was purchased about 4 years ago.  Is a setting of between 90-94% safe or a
"normal" setting for a CRT or is this an indication of a aging monitor?

Richard