[OM] Re: E-330

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:38:46 +0000
On 11/01/06, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/01/2006, at 1:34 AM, Ian Nichols wrote:
> > Personally, I'd prefer a mirror lock-up, allowing the use of a
> > tiltable LCD
> > to monitor the CCD image, retaining the optical viewfinder for
> > normal use.
> >

> That's another way of managing the problem although cruder perhaps.
> You would also need to have shutter lock-open as well! That would
> involve a lot of decisions and would not appeal to a market familiar
> with chimping.

I don't entirely follow your reasoning, Andrew.  Obviously a mechanical
shutter would have to remain open, but then it would work just like any
other digicam with the screen on.  What are these decisions that have to be
made? and how would this preclude chimping?

I envisage a system whereby a switch locks the mirror up & shutter open and
switches on the lcd, leaving the camera in that mode until switched back.
Most complex bit would be doing the metering& focus detection off the ccd as
well as through the optical viewfinder, but the software for that has surely
already been done?