[OM] Re: noise ninja?

Subject: [OM] Re: noise ninja?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:40:54 -0800
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Does anyone have noise ninja who would be willing to let me send one of my
>very noisy pinhole files to see if that may work as a solution for some of my
>very long exposures?

It's been a while since I looked into noise reduction software. I
downloaded the demo/trial versions of both Noise Ninja and Neat Image.
The differences were really tiny. The Noise Ninja demo puts a watermark
in any image it works on. Neat Imageis limited rather by only being able
to work on JPEGs and, I think, disabled batch processing.

To date the Neat Image trial has done everything I've needed. It's
really very capable. If you would like to send on a JPEG, I'd be happy
to try it out and send back the results. I could do the same in Noise
Ninja, although I'm not as adept with it. The watermark shouldn't get in
the way of seeing if it would do what you need.

There are probably still demo/trial versions available, maybe even later
versions.

If this is with the E-1, I assume you are using or have tried the Noise
Reduction setting. Dpreview says:

"Night exposures

The E-1 has dark-frame subtraction 'Noise Reduction' option available on
the record menu. Without this long exposures of 8 seconds or longer
appeared to have a fair amount of visible hot pixel noise, enabling
Noise Reduction removed all of this and left very little 'black pitting'
behind. It's also interesting to note the top left corner of the images
without noise reduction have a 'glow' which disappears in the images
with noise reduction enabled. Obviously the disadvantage of this kind of
Noise Reduction is that the exposure takes twice as long, for example a
60 second exposure with noise reduction enabled takes 120 seconds."

There are examples <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/page16.asp>.

Moose