[OM] Re: [OT] unbelievable E-1 deal on the bay

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] unbelievable E-1 deal on the bay
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 12:40:17 +1100
So, challenge them to source a 'similar' refurbished item in the UK
at the nominal rate charged. :-)
To my mind, it's similar to buying a 'demonstrator' off a car dealer
(or a camera store) or even a 'last year's model' at a substantial
discount - that's normal business practice and should be recognised
by HMC&E. The item is neither new nor perfect and you have traded
your acceptance of that deficiency for the discount.
I know that struggling with a bureaucracy is tricky but it can be fun
- the trick is to find the name of a responsible individual and do
battle with the person rather than the monolith. As a payer of tax
and excise, you are entitled to a formal ruling on an individual case
and such a ruling is then subject to legal challenge.
You'll know that you've pushed too hard when they serve you with an
ASBO (Anti-Social Behaviour Order).
AndrewF