[OM] Re: Lensbabies ? ? ? Home-made version ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Lensbabies ? ? ? Home-made version ?
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:23:37 -0800

On Dec 28, 2005, at 12:43 AM, Moose wrote:
>> <snip>

> Great placement of the plane of focus and great composition with
> the OOF
> elements and the reaching hand leading right to the central subject.
>
>> <http://oz.net/~robhar/IMG_0023e.jpg>

I sent this one in to the Nikon Pride and Joy Baby Contest. <http://
www.nikoncoolpix101.com/main.html?section=pride_and_joy&topic=> Don't
think there's much of a chance, but it's worth a try. A good friend
of ours won the contest--and a $25,000 savings bond--year before
last....

> Again, I like it, very, uh, architectural. :-)
>
>> <http://oz.net/~robhar/IMG_0072w.jpg>

Thanks Moose! There was an aspect of "play" to using the DSLR that
might not have been there with a film camera.... Although, I could
make "playing more" one of my New Year's resolutions....

> Trying to separate my preference for color for this kind of shot from
> the shot itself, I still find it less compelling that the first
> one. The
> mood of the subject is of course different, and the plane of focus not
> quite as carefully placed. But I think the major thing is that
> there is
> a quality of just a face with OOF surroundings, rather than the strong
> comoposition of elements in the first one.
>
>> <http://oz.net/~robhar/IMG_0068w.jpg>

Agreed. I like this one mainly because it's my son doing this thing
he's done since he could walk--standing up on the railing, arching
his back and shouting "Wah-seeeeee!" We still don't know what it
means.....:-)

> I don't get it, but then I don't get a lot of those sort of "I dropped
> my camera and look at this nice shot it took when it hit." shots using
> lensbabies or other means. What impresses me is what strong,
> interesting
> other shots you made with it.

Yah, you're right. It's mainly the "shot in sepia with a digital
yellow filter" aspect that I found interesting. Compositionally, not
very good.

>> Like this shot, of my sister-in-law on the beach at Mackay,
>> Queensland.
>>
>> <http://oz.net/~robhar/0367590-R1-036-16A.jpg>
>>

> Just lovely, so painterly/impressionistic in composition, detail, or
> lack thereof, and color. So many pinhole shots seem to me to just be
> intentionally fuzzy versions of otherwise passe images or images that
> would look better sharp. This image transcends that for me.
>
> You might even make me reconsider my thoughts about Lenbaby type
> lenses
> and pinholes.
>
> Moose

High praise indeed--thanks for the kind words. The day was like that--
just lovely. A wide white sandy beach, almost to ourselves. Perfect
temperature. Our then ten-month old son experiencing ocean waves for
the first time. Grand.

Rob in Seattle