[OM] Re: [OT] unbelievable E-1 deal on the bay

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] unbelievable E-1 deal on the bay
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:13:18 -0600
Martyn Smoothy wrote:

> I really wish you hadn't posted this - happy with my OM-1,2,3,4, etc. - who
> needs digital.....
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> 1. Are Cameta considered a reliable company? - never dealt with them in the
> past

I had never purchased from them before, either. Most of my Oly stash has
come from either this list or thrift stores.... :-)  Cameta is one of
the vendors mentioned frequently (and positively) on this list, along
with B&H and Adorama (neither of which has a deal this good on the E-1).
They have excellent feedback on oBoy over almost 120,000 sales. And one
of the first emails they sent me once I bought was one that mentioned
that the purchase is bonded in case Cameta does something stupid (well,
it was more legal and specific than that). I have never received
anything like that before and I've spent well more than that on-line.

> 2. How does the E-1 compare with the E-500? - in the UK the 500 seems to be
> the cheaper of the two (though not as cheap as this deal - even considering
> customs/VAT).

The E-1 has approximately 5.5 MP; the E-500 has 8 MP. The E-1 has a
somewhat larger, heavier magnesium body that is sealed against water and
dust; the E-500 has a metal frame and polycarbonate panels. The E-1 has
a smaller display screen and lacks the E-500's built-in flash, but it
does have FireWire and USB 2.0 (the E-500, IIRC, has only "full-speed"
USB 2.0, which is the same speed as USB 1.1). I'm probably missing some
key feature; others will fill the gap.

I'll let those folks discuss any differences in the quality of pictures
taken with both.

> Still don't really want a DSLR of course :-)

Sure you don't.... :-)