[OM] Thom Hogan's Annual Predictions

Subject: [OM] Thom Hogan's Annual Predictions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:31:21 -0800
Thom Hogan exposes himself to possible ridicule each year by making
predictions about the digital camera industry. He does pretty well,
actually.

http://www.bythom.com/2006predictions.htm

Oly related:

By 2007, the DSLR market will start to look like the consumer digicam
market: too many players, not enough dollars, not enough growth, and
much talk of who will go away permanently (KonicaMinolta, Pentax,
Panasonic, Samsung, and Fujifilm are my choices, in order of
likelihood). Olympus will be in a major battle with Sony over third
place (and their 4/3 and KM mounts will be battling for third place
in mounts, too). Nikon and Canon will be selling their lowest end at
little or no margin to retain share. Like I said: brutal.
2006
Olympus goes pro. Again. The E1 replacement rolls out at PMA,
probably at 10mp. It's possible we'll hear of another pro body come
Photokina (think small, light, basic, but pro). We already know
Olympus's lens plans for 2006 since they've talked about them
publicly, but I think they'll continue the pre-announcement game with
a couple more pro-caliber lenses announced at Photokina that round
out the 4/3 lineup. Like Nikon and Canon, watch for falling prices as
they try to hold market share.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA