[OM] Re: What should a scanning program (not) do?

Subject: [OM] Re: What should a scanning program (not) do?
From: "Ian Manners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:10:48 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Nils, others.

>Yeah, like I wrote at the way bottom of my post, I know that Ed's VueScan
>is great. There's only a small problem with it: it doesn't run on my SGI
>O2 with IRIX 6.5. (Oh no! here goes another OT thread. At least I can
>laugh about the Mac/PC clashes here :P) And believe it or not, I don't
>have (nor do I need) an i386 or Mac to put Win/OSX/Linux on.

Neither do a few others :-)

>It is also very nice to have full control over the scanning process.

I use Tame/Sane for scanning, and PMView Pro + ColorWorks/2 for editing
post scan.

http://www.sane-project.org
http://www.xsane.org/

Compile amazingly easy using GCC, including the USB and SCSI support.

>> We are used to seeing output that has had the ends of the histogram
>> compressed and/or clipped and the midtone contrast increased. That's
>> what slide film does as a process, what automated prints of cn film do
>> and what the software that comes with most scanners does in its default
>> setting. When you start rolling your own, you have to make your own
>> desicions about how and where in your workflow to make those
>> adjustments. The important thing is to realize that all the data is
>> there, it's just not optimally arranged yet. :-)

Called "Artistic Expression"

>Well sure, I can adjust the slope (or even a curve if I'm feeling fancy),
>but pulling data apart is not helpful. How can I be sure that 'all the
>data is there'? If I stretch an interval for the RGB channels, I'm losing
>bitspace for possible data. There seems to be a way to set contrast in
>the scanner (hard to tell without documentation), I'll have to explore

With Tame you can adjust the ends of the curves only, retaining the
original full range but just smoothing the curve out a bit. As the OS/2
version is simply ported from the Unix/Linux version, should be the
same. If you "drag"/"Adjust" the curves off screen, then you may lose
the end(s) of the spectrum. Once the adjustments are done, scan away.
ie, adjust the curves before you scan, or adjust and do test scans to
see what suites best for particular photos.

You also have the option of editing the text setup files for the individual
scanners if you like both editing, and you like to get your hands on
the numbers.

>> >Or am I the only strange guy in
>> >town that wants be be sure that the raw data from the scanner is on disk
>> >to be messed around with by programs that were written for that exact
>> >purpose (Photoshop, PWP, aso..)?

I also always keep and archive off original bulk scans before messin
with them, a lot easier than rescanning but what information you want from
a scan really depends on the subject matter of the photo. The nature of
scanners mean that something will always be lost, somewere, thats why
so much software is out there....

Cheers
Ian B Manners
Somewere on the net

Those who can, do.  Those who can't, supervise!