[OM] Re: Lensbabies ? ? ? Home-made version ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Lensbabies ? ? ? Home-made version ?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:11:15 EST

In a message dated 12/26/2005 9:13:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Anyone  used the lensbabies lenses?

Only briefly as I just got it a few weeks ago and have not had the time to
dedicate to attempting to sort out how to properly use it.

There are many ways to get soft focus such as, Softar filters, vaseline on  a
UV, sandpapering an old f1.8 50mm, panty hose over the lens and many  others.
 I also have a Sima softfocus and a pinhole body cap and each of  these might
be used in different situations.

My venture into Lens baby territory is done with a certain caution.   It
seems to me that there exists a possibility with this tool of producing  the
cliche "lens baby" image, much the same as those images we have been
discussing of
late produced with a full circle fish eye lens.  The lens  baby, as best I
can determine at this early point in the relationship, is not  just a soft
focus
lens, but more of a selective focus both from the standpoint  of what is in
focus and where the plane in which the soft or out of focus  occurs. So if you
just want soft focus, use some other method than the  "lens baby."  If you
want the lens baby and don't want to pay for one, then  get some duct tape, a p
iece of flex tubing of some sort, a single lens and  get after it.  I'm sure it
could be done, however the real deal is not all  that expensive.  I'll keep
the list posted as I have more opportunity to  give it a workout.  In the mean
time I'll tell you one of the tools I've  have the most fun with and produce
the most pleasing (to me) results is a  pinhole body cap.  Nice images that are
totally different from the lens  baby.

Bill Barber