[OM] Re: Computer for Photoshop advice please

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer for Photoshop advice please
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:51:32 -0800 (PST)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Moose...:)
  I said fine, not perfect.  You remember that I aksdt if he does that for fun
or financial reasons.
  You will be surprized how much the performance improves if you just manage
your resources.
  A year ago I had the same dilemna and spent countless hours researching the
Net during my down time.  I don't remember everything, but one article comes to
mind...the dude needed a system for multimedia and moderate gaming (which
requires much more power than PS...:)  The article should be about two years
old now, but his choice was a 1.2GHz Athlon, not exactly a number cruncher even
at the time.  His other components such as the MB were chosen carefully...I
don't remember specs from the top of my head.  He ended up with a very decent
system by identifying and elliminating the bottlenecks, but had some
compatibility issues that I was trying to warn Mike about.
  My point was that you don't get much savings by building your own system
these days.  In addition to that, I would not worry about getting one of
"those" computers if my budget was tight, they WILL get the job done just fine.
 Of course I assumed that it is well known fact that they won't perform as fast
as the ones in the $1900 range...:)
  Boris