[OM] Re: Film photography of the greater kind

Subject: [OM] Re: Film photography of the greater kind
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:08:58 +0000 (GMT)
Brian wrote...much snipping....
> I finally made it to the Ansel Adams exhibition of
> ?75 images.
> Most of them are amazingly sharp with a wealth of
> detail close up, but I
> thought the one with the central 3 - 5 aspens in the
> morning light with a dark
> grove behind was blunt. The printed version is
> better in my opinion.
> "Moonrise over Hernandez" is amazing.
> The prints are black and white, black, grey and
> white, or black and grey !!.
> No colour.   I think they are all silver gelatin(e)
> prints.
. One of my top favourites from the books,
> the deposit of ice at the
> foot of a cliff beside a lake, disappointed me; the
> ice seemed muddy and
> lacked luminosity. Maybe that is how it was.  The
> print of the church at Taos
> was good to see in the flesh. What amazing
> architecture !!
>> The prints can be seen in the book "Classic images"
> of which there is an
> abundant supply second-hand. Soon to be one less.
> There are two flavours;
> one containing the images of the exhibitions, and
> one slightly different,
> apparently.
> Brian

 You set me thinking.."I have seen that book"..." 2hrs
later after turning the house upside down I found it.
Somehow it had been moved from my "photography"
bookshelf" and was now in the spare bedroom. I really
must get organised!
I can second what Brian says about the book , 75
illustrations of very good quality. Some have an
almost Luminous quality about them.
 I would certainly give them wall space. Now all of
you get on your favourite book search......

Regards
  John Duggan,
     Wales, UK