[OM] use for 14mm non-auto extension tube

Subject: [OM] use for 14mm non-auto extension tube
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:55:01 -0600
Mike asked about an OM 14mm extension tube on that auction site.  Since
the tube appears to be the older, non-automatic version, there is an
interesting use for it.
    I bought ("bargin" at Keh) a bellows unit and 80/4 Mamiya-Sekor
macro lens for a Mamiya 645 medium format camera.  The bellows has
swing, tilt, and shift functions for the lens.  If one shaves a fraction
of an inch from the outside of the OM 14mm manual extension tube in a
lathe, the tube will fit tightly into the rear of the bellows (duh,
remove the camera mount for the Mamiya body first), and, voila!, one can
mount an OM 35mm SLR on the back of this Mamiya bellows.  (With the
adapter, I would think that the E-1 would then mount on this extension
ring.)  It's pretty cool.  I've only shot a few photos with this unit,
but I hope to be able to use it to photograph butterflies, in
particular, next summer.  Just focusing on a sheet of graph paper,
placed at various angles to the plane of the film, is an interesting
exercise. If you want to try lens tilts and swings with your OM, at
least in macro, this is one way to go.  (It won't work for architecture
shots;  the set-up won't focus beyond about 18".)  The use of the OM
double cable release lets one focus and compose with the aperture wide
open, and then have the lens stop down an instant before the shutter
fires.
Dean