[OM] Re: Article on Polarization

Subject: [OM] Re: Article on Polarization
From: Jim Brokaw <j.l.brokaw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:58:23 -0800
on 12/10/05 12:09 PM, Jay Drew at dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> After proving my ignorance on cross polar filtering, I googled.
>
> http://www.popphoto.com/pdfs/2002/0902/Polarizer.pdf
>
> So a side question of sorts:
> Does that elusive cross polariztion filter for a T10 have a linear filter
> across the flash element and a circular across the lens portion?
>
> Jay

I don't know, but I think my normal use for the T-10 will be on TTL auto, so
maybe it doesn't matter since the meter is determining quench signal off the
film directly. If I understand it correctly the need for a circular
polarizer is when you have a mirror in the meter light path and you are
using that mirror e.g. to see the meter's shutter speed in the finder, or
set the aperture via the finder's meter display. When you use the OM on Auto
the meter works directly off the film and there is no difference whether the
polarizer is linear or circular.

I seem to remember that one easy way to determine if the polarizer is linear
or circular is to view your own reflection in a mirror through the polarizer
as if it were a sunglass lens... Than flip it around and view your
reflection again. If the polarizer is lighter one way than the other then
its linear... or is that circular? Anyway, it has something to do with how
the light comes through the polarizer twice off the mirror. Somebody here
with a real, good memory will remember this correctly.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...