[OM] OM-4 wind repair

Subject: [OM] OM-4 wind repair
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:45:55 -0000
Hi folks,
I know this was discussed fairly recently with several of you reporting fairly
simple repairs on OMs with stuck wind latches. I've volunteered to have a go at
a friends (he did buy it on my recommendation!)

The wind lever does not work. Pressing the shutter flips the mirror up, but the
shutter does not release. Now the mirror is up the reason is obvious:
the shutter showing is the 2nd one (non-patterned) .

I took the base off and found by moving a couple of latches (the long one along
the back and the small 3-way one near the film chamber) I could get the wind
lever to wind on the film advance, but not the shutter. I wasn't sure which is
the wind latch which commonly gets 'overwound', so I probed a bit further. The
most obvious thing to detach seemed to be the two gears held together by a
plate next to the motordrive socket, so off they came. At this point I noticed
the motorwind socket was not aligned as it should be, the inner part being in
the 11 oclock- 5 oclock position (looking from above, camera back nearest to
me).

Underneath was a stub which, when twiddled, moved the shutter curtain.
Unfortunately only one shutter curtain moved across, at which point I decided
I'd meddled enough and put it back together....

Any ideas? More serious than the wind latch? The gears and latches did appear
to be a little gunked up.
Any help appreciated,
Cheers,
Adam