[OM] How best to determine effect of fungus on final print

Subject: [OM] How best to determine effect of fungus on final print
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 23:30:56 -0500
Reading Ian's ongoing story of removing the fungus from his lens and seeing
his photo of the affected element got me to thinking about the best way to
go about determining the effect, if any, of fungus on a print.

Over the last two years I've accumulated a supply of fungus infected OEM
and 3rd party 35mm lenses, primes and zooms, in mounts for all of the major
brands including Olympus.  Some of the fungi are the small, circular
looking kind, some are spider webby and other look like splotches.  Some
lenses have only one or two elements affected while others show more
extensive damage.

Would it be preferable to use color or b&w print film?

Would it be better to take photos of a monotone surface? Something like an
off white or gray piece of fabric or a wall painted in a neutral color?  My
thinking is there'd be no other "subject matter" to mask the fungus.

What size print would be necessary to allow one to see the fungus?  4x6,
8x10, 11x14, larger?

Would a small, medium or large aperture be better?

With zooms would it be better to use the short, mid or long focal length?

For zooms with a macro or close up feature would this setting show fungus
better?

Any thoughts, opinions, personal experiences appreciated.

Gary