[OM] Re: Holy cow Batman, that looks like a viper . . .

Subject: [OM] Re: Holy cow Batman, that looks like a viper . . .
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:58:31 -0500
Hmmm.  I don't think whatever this refers to made it to my inbox or to
the last digest.  I found this interesting since my reference material
tells me copperheads don't like to live much west of Topeka.  Sure
you've got the snake ID'd properly?

Chuck Norcutt

NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Way to go Robin . . . that is exactly what it is.  A pit viper of the  copper
> head variety.

 > <snip> Driving along  a back road in  northern New Mexico enjoying
the wide open spaces which still had  the remnants of the last snow
storm covering the ground, we approached a  windmill and its watering
tank with a few head of cattle standing around.   The light was nice and
the clouds were also great.  I stopped the car,  grabbed my OM 2S and
85mm f2 which was loaded with Tri-X and jumped out to go  finish off the
last six  frames.  It was a little cool at 42 degrees and I  left my
jacket in the car as I didn't figure I'd be there long.  Walking  toward
the fence across an area which was mostly covered with short dead grass,
  I noticed something which seemed a bit out of place at the end of
November on a  partially snow covered ground . . . it was a rather large
(for the species)  copperhead stretched out soaking up the sun.  Had I
not been looking (a  habit I picked while growing up spending many hours
in the woods and along the  rivers in and around central Texas) I surely
would have stepped on this  one.  When I squatted down and captured
its image, he obliged me by getting  in the "if you get any closer big
boy I'm going to bite your ass"  position.  That made what I think could
be an interesting photo, assuming I  got my exposure correct.

The part of this which interested me most, was the time of year and the
conditions in which I walked up on this snake.