[OM] Re: dpreview posts complete review of Oly SP-310

Subject: [OM] Re: dpreview posts complete review of Oly SP-310
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:18:32 -0800
ScottGee1 wrote:

>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp310/
>
>It's "Recommended".

Another perfectly decent camera with nothing special to recommend it
other than the name on the front.

Compared to my recent choice, it is big, heavy, slow in operation and
iso and noisy.

227.5 vs. 144 cc. = 58% bigger.
230 gr. vs. 190 = 21% heavier.
Press 'on' button to shot taken, 3.5 vs. 1.6 sec. - this is a deal
breaker for me.
Zoom wide to tele, 1.2 vs. 0.8 sec.
WA focus 0.6 vs. 0.3 sec.
Tele focus 0.6 vs. 0.5
BUT for SP-310, "In low light or when the subject lacks contrast the
time to focus can stretch to as much as 1.6 seconds."
Shot to shot with flash on 4.9 vs. 3.3 sec. (3.3 is already pretty slow,
and DPr says so.)
Resolution using 7.1 mp, 1550 * 1550 vs. 1650 * 1750 using 6.3 mp.
Highest iso 400 vs. 1600 and noise on the Oly at least 2 stops worse.

The two big things going for the Oly that I can see are that it works on
standard AA batteries and it shoots RAW.

For me, the battery thing is not a positive, as it contributes to size
and weight, but I know there are those who are thrilled at this. I like
those light little LIion batteries that take hundreds of shots on a charge.

RAW sounds great until I find out it takes about 10 seconds to write the
file to the card! That could feel like a lifetime, as the camera is not
operational during that time.

The Oly does have a few special features that will appeal for specialty
uses. As a P&S to supplement (D)SLRs for less than casual photogs, a
yawn. For someone taking only snaps and intrigued with jillions of
picture modes, entertaining, I suppose.

Moose