[OM] Re: 350 f-2.8 Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Re: 350 f-2.8 Zuiko
From: jeff-keller@xxxxxxx (Jeff Keller)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:33:59 +0000

-------------- Original message from Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
--------------

> If they were smart they would have accepted your offer :-) I can't
> understand why anyone would pay anywhere near their asking price. You
> really need to keep in mind that this lens, and likely all other exotic
> OM lenses, are unserviceable should they need any parts. One mishap and
> you have an expensive door stop. For the same price as his asking price
> you could get a better new lens with AF and IS from the competition. Or
> even better yet get an E-1 with the 150/2, and it'll be cheaper :-)
> -mark

Not too long after jmac sold his, I know at least one very nice 350/2.8 sold
for less than $2000. I suspect a lot of potential buyers compare the 350/2.8 to
the Tamron 400/4 and decide to save a pile of money. A real Olympus USA
refurbished 180/2 sold for less than $1000 several months back. The used OM
gear probably forces Olympus to target professional, not as cost sensitive,
users for new digital long telephoto lens sales.
-jeff