[OM] Re: [OT] Mice & other PC questions ...

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Mice & other PC questions ...
From: "Ian Manners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:59:25 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Jon

>I have a cabling nightmare.  I have 2 computers.  One is a PC with PS/2
>ports and USB ports (and more).  The other is a Mac-Mini with no PS/2
>ports.  I want to share one keyboard, mouse, and monitor via a KVM
>switch.

As you have found out, there are KVM's, and then there are KVM's.....

Having a Mini-Mac, I think that you will find that your life will be a lot
easier if you purchase a USB Keyboard or the type that has a built in USB
Hub, it doesnt have to be a Mac USB KB, infact my wife uses a non mac
USB keyboard which was about 1/5" the price of the Apple version, and
with exellelent keys to boot, it also has the standard PC layout. Best bet
is to visit an Apple dealer who can probably show you the options.

The USB mouse plugs into the KB, leaving the other (normally two USB ports
on the built in hub jobs) one free for things like Logitec headphone/mic unit.

Didnt realise that the MiniMac doesnt come with a mic input until my wife
wanted to use the mic....

The USB KB also works fine on a clone PC, through a standard dual USB KVM,
using the USB ports on the PC. No PS/2 ports required :)

My main 8 port KVM I have works fine with USB-PS/2 converters but when
I tried a hookup with a cheaper one for a lecture, I couldnt get the USB-PS/2
converters to work full stop on cheaper KVM's.

The other option is to possibly try different brand of USB-PS/2 converters.
There are KVM's, and then there are KVM's :(

Cheers
Ian B Manners
Somewere on the net

Do not attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps.